Tuesday, September 10, 2013

The Perfect Game

Title: The Perfect Game
Author: J. Sterling
Year: 2012
Series?: The Perfect Game #1
Format: E-Book (Kindle, free borrowing capabilities from Amazon)
Genre: New Adult, Romance, Sports

What's it about?: After two years at a community college Cassie transfers to a four year university to be with her best friend. She soon meets Jack, a baseball pitcher with a good shot at the Major Leagues, and a notorious player. Jack finds a way into Cassie's heart and the two soon fall in love, but will they stay together under the pressures of the demands of the big leagues? Or be torn apart?

My opinion: WARNING!!!!  MAJOR SPOILERS AHEAD!!!!!!!!! I honestly don't understand why this book has the following that it does. Reading this book I felt like it was freaking bipolar, the damn plot was all over the place. Like, the first half was all happy and rainbows and sunshine and everything is amazing and then the author threw a curve-ball at the reader (pun intended) and had Jack do something awful. I mean really?! I went into this book knowing that Jack would cheat on Cassie, but I was super pissed about how Cassie handled it. To me, she was the very definition of doormat. The guy cheats on her, gets the other girl pregnant and then marries her, and what does Cassie do? She begs him not to marry someone else. After all of the development the author put into Cassie with the daddy issues and the trust issues, it seems highly unlikely that Cassie would just let the past go and chase after Jack. How the fuck is the book in the top 100 on Goodreads' Best Book Boyfriends listopia? Seriously. Whatever. Ugh. Moving on from that part, I liked the beginning even though it was very-instalove for my taste. I prefer a slow building romance in my books, and after a month of knowing each other the characters were professing their love and humping like rabbits. I also didn't understand the relevance of Cassie's mugging to the whole of the book, in fact, thinking back it was pretty random and served no purpose to the storyline. ANYWAYS, I normally like angst but it really didn't tie well together for me in this book; I'm glad I borrowed this book from Amazon instead of buying it, and I really don't think I'll be reading the second one. And I hate the cover. Despite all of the complaining and bitching above, I was genuinely riveted by the book and read it all in almost one sitting, so I'll give the author credit for that. No my cup of tea, but maybe other people like a little random crap in their New Adult. I don't.

I give it 2 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment