Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Nearly Broken

Title: Nearly Broken
Author: Devon Ashley
Format: E-Book (Kindle)
Year Published: 2013
Series?: Nearly Book 1
Genre: New Adult, Suspense, Sociology/Abuse

What's it about?: Megan has a motto that she rigorously sticks to: Head down. Stay off the radar. Haunted by her past Megan moved to a small town in Oregon and became a waitress in a small diner, the perfect place for her to hide. One night a girl named Thea comes in with a missing persons flyer with a girl that looks exactly like Megan, but it's not her. Megan doesn't have a family and her past does not match Claire's. Still, the fact that they both were taken and looked alike nags at her subconscious. On top of this, the new cook at the diner, Nick, has Megan confused for he is breaking down her defenses like no one before...

My opinion: This book ripped me to shreds. It's very dark and twisted and there was a wonderful plot twist I almost didn't see coming (almost because I guessed a small part of it). I don't want to give away much because the reader should not know the story going in, it really enhances the suspense of the book. I will say there were moments when my heart broke for Megan and all that she had been through, and Nick was the perfect guy in helping her through her issues (a best book boyfriend for sure!). The main themes I picked up on in the book were safety and survival, much of the book revolved around Megan and her struggle to feel safe in her life after the events that scarred her emotionally and physically. The survival aspect was much more about Megan dealing with her actions and choices on how she survived. Again, I don't want to give away much, just that this book surprised me in many ways, it did not turn out at all like I expected (this is a good thing) and it surprised me with it's elegant writing and the feelings it invoked in me while reading it. One of the things I didn't like about it is the fact that it's a series, it really could have ended with this one book, but we will see where it goes. And there is no cliffhanger, so don't worry!

I give this book 3.5 out of 5 stars for suspense and originality.

No comments:

Post a Comment