Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Lover Reborn

Title: Lover Reborn
Author: J. R. Ward
Format: Hardcover (Library checkout)
Year: 2012
Series?: Black Dagger Brotherhood Book 10
Genre: Paranormal Romance, Urban Fantasy

What's it about?: SPOILERS FOR THOSE WHO HAVE NOT READ THE PREVIOUS 9 BOOKS!!!: Still mourning the passing of his mate and shellan Wellsie, Tohrment is told by the angel Lassiter that he must let her go or she and their unborn child will be stuck forever in the In Between and will not pass into the Fade. Lassiter encourages Tohrment to become closer to No'One who he has a history with. No'One remembers Tohrment from when he and Darius tried to save her life, and she wants to help him like he once helped her many years ago.

Opinion: I have to give some serious props to Ward, I had absolutely no interest in reading a story where Tohrment falls in love with someone else while mourning his former mate, and I was even more put off by the fact that it was with the somewhat unknown character No'One. But, I was wrong. Afters weeks of putting off reading this book, I regretted doing that because I feel that Tohr and No'One had one of the more interesting romances of the series. Both characters are tormented (teehee) and grieving for what they could have been if their lives had not been destroyed by the wrong doings of others. I especially liked that they both had a non-romantic history with each other, it made for a stronger connection and something to compare their current relationship to. The moments between No'One and her daughter Xhex were some of the best in the book. I admired No'One for finally stepping up and apologizing to her daughter for not being there, and I'm glad Xhex let her in and didn't shun her. I really grew to like Lassiter, in the past I found him annoying and didn't really understand why he was added to the books, but in Lover Reborn he became a great source of comic relief, as well as a character I'd like to see more of in the future. One thing I hope to see more of would be Rhage and Mary's relationship, after book two (my favorite in the series) of which they were the primary focus of, these characters have been glossed over ever since which is really doing them a dishonor. Other couples have reprised in the books, in this one it was John and Xhex which I liked, but not really necessary. It just led for me wanting to beat John over the head with how caveman he was being. I typically skim the chapters focusing on the antagonist in the books (and I've done that since the very first book) but of what I actually read of Xcor I liked, he's not a cut and dry evil villain and Ward really needed that in her series. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this book, but I really just want to get on to the next book with Quinn and Blay (squee!!!).

I give this book 3.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment