Thursday, September 5, 2013

Breaking Nova

Title: Breaking Nova
Author: Jessica Sorensen
Format: E-Book (Kindle)
Year Published: 2013
Series?: Nova Book 1
Genre: New Adult, Contemporary

What's it about?: Nova has experienced an enormous amount of loss for someone her age. When she was a preteen her dad died of a heart condition and when she was a teen she lost her boyfriend Landon as well. Nova survives each day by counting the numbers and avoiding thinking about Landon. Quinton survived a fatal car accident that killed two other passengers in the car, including himself but he was brought back to life. Once a great guy, Quinton has now lapsed into an unemployed drug addict and feels he does not deserve for good things to happen to him. One day the two meet, and recognize the sadness each of them carries in their eyes. Will they both overcome their past and move on with the rest of their lives?

My opinion: I'm a fan of author Jessica Sorensen; her Secret series and Shattered Promises series are books I thoroughly enjoyed. Sadly, Breaking Nova really missed the mark for me. I did not really like the character of Quinton, and I think that was the point but he really wasn't a stand up guy, at least at this point in his life. I did like Nova and her pain with was happened in her life was heart-wrenching. For me, the best parts of the book were Nova's flashbacks with Landon, he is a character I would have rather read about than Quinton. The part of the book where Nova watches Landon's video to her had me in tears, well done on that part Ms. Sorensen. The central focus on loss and grief was a good one, I just don't think the execution of it was handled all that well. Overall, I spent most of the book waiting for something more to happen, the characters just sat around getting high and complaining about their problems instead of working toward something, anything else, either good or bad. I also thought it weird that Nova easily transitioned into hanging out with a bad crowd when she seemed to have more sense than that, no matter what issues she was dealing with. Anyways, I will continue to read the books because this book ended with a cliffhanger of some sorts, and hopefully Quinton will redeem himself in further writings to come.

I give this book 3 out of 5 stars, I recommend reading Shattered Promises or The Secret of Ella and Micha if there is an interest in books by this author.

No comments:

Post a Comment